Shows: Dec. 4 to Dec. 8
The first half of this month is replete with good live music in the Bay Area. Here’s what’s coming up through Thursday.
Myra Melford & friends at Freight & Salvage, Berkeley, Sunday Dec. 4, 8:00 p.m.
….. “& friends” kind of sells short the rest of this big-deal quartet: Ben Goldberg (clarinet), John Shifflet (bass), and Scott Amendola (drums). Should be a terrific evening of jazz in the comfortable new Freight theater. Ticket holders will be entitled to a download of the concert recording, too.
* Myra, Ben, John, and Scott.
* Myra + Ben + The Freight, Jan. 2010.
Monday Makeout: Jazz night at The Make-Out Room (San Francisco), Monday Dec. 5, 8:00 p.m.
….. I don’t mention it enough, but jazz takes over this bar on the first Monday of every month. December’s lineup will feature Eric Glick Rieman (solo prepared electric piano), Bollywood Sax (Aaron Bennett, Cory Wright, and TBA, all on sax/clarinet), and the trio Autonomous Rogers (Mike Abraham, guitar; George Ban-Weiss, bass; Eric Garland, drums).
* More on Eric Glick Rieman.
* Explanation of “prepared electric piano.”
* Pics of Bollywood sax; more about Aaron Bennett and Cory Wright.
* Youtube video featuring Autonomous Rogers as 3/4 of a quartet.
Machine Shop at Tom’s Place (3111 Deakin Street, Berkeley), Tuesday Dec. 6, 7:30 p.m.
….. “Tom’s Place” is a literal description; these are house concerts for a close-knit audience. It sounds cozy. Then again, “Machine Shop” is a duet of Karen Stackpole’s gongs and percussion with electronic processing by Die Elektrischen: picture slow, forceful waves of sound. They’ve got a CD out on Dielectric Records.
* Dielectric Records, with a sound sample.
* Karen Stackpole on Myspace.
Bristle at Berkeley Arts Festival (Berkeley), Weds. Dec. 7, 8:00 p.m.
….. Squeaky jazz, sometimes crazed and sometimes playfully complex, from the quartet of Randy McKean (sax), Cory Wright (sax/clarinet), Murray Campbell (violin/oboe), and Lisa Mezzacappa (bass) plays at the downtown storefront that’s been hosting an open-ended series of jazz shows.
* Bristle’s site, including sound samples and video embeds.
Charlie Hunter & Scott Amendola at Dana Street Roasting (Mountain View), Thurs. Dec. 8
….. This one’s sold out, so, like, never mind.
* Amendola’s Calendar, listing shows on the 10th (Sacto), 11th, and 12th.
* The importance of Dana Street.
Long Night’s Moon concert (improv quartets) at Luggage Store Gallery (San Francisco), Thurs. Dec. 8, 8:00 p.m.
….. “An evening of space music,” the description reads — and “space” refers to spacey, psych-influenced sound., not quiet empty space. Expect lots of electronics and some loudness, especially when members of z_bug take the stage for the second set.
* Full lineup of players, from Bayimproviser.com.
* Blog entry on the z_bug experience.