The summit is prefaced on Sunday, July 19, with “Touch the Gear,” an exhibition where electronic musicians lay out their instruments and contraptions for you to mess with. Yes, you get to touch the gear, to make noises on your own, to squiggle and tweak. If you’re lucky, Tom Nunn will be there with one of his homemade contraptions. And along the way, you learn where some of those electronic drones and blips really come from.
The rest of the lineup:
* Wednesday, July 22 — “Free Improvisation/Free Composition” — works with some jazzy roots.
- Alicia Mangan and Spirit
- Vinny Golia.
* Thursday, July 23 — “Industrial Soundscapes” — probably noisy and/or droney stuff, with:
- Peter Kolovos
- Hans Fjellestad
- Thomas Dimuzio.
* Friday, July 24 — “InterMedia” — multimedia works.
- Jess Rowland with The Dreamland Puppet Theater
- Kathleen Quillian & Gilbert Guererro
- and the return of Bonfire Madigan, an old KZSU fave.
* Saturday, July 25 — “Introspection and Improvisation” — sets that could be quiet, but I wouldn’t count on it staying that way all evening, particularly the last set.
- Natto (acoustic trio improv)
- Ghost In the House featuring Richard Waters
- Left Coast Improv Group (noted here)
Yep, this overlaps the Mission Creek Festival, but Mission Creek is tapping an audience different from Outsound’s. At least that’s what I’ll keep telling myself with fingers crossed. Outsound has done well the past couple of years, so hopefully the turnout will be good this time around, too.